Thursday 27 May 2010

Sandwich bags.

From looking at the photographs that I have taken that contain the various responses of my participants in the sandwich bags (a couple of posts back), I am really happy with how this idea works and presents itself.

This response explores the concept of identity being multi-layered - This goes back to this point that was identified by my participants on the Facebook group.


For the purpose of this experiment, I have placed a white sheet of paper behind the sandwich bags.             I intend on painting my exhibition baords white to give a clean outlook to the work that is being exhibited.

I think that displaying the participants work in individual sandwich bags works really well. I like the way that each piece would stand alone, but also be a part of a wider concept. 

In doing this, I would also hope that I am celebrating the positive contributions that my participants have made, especially those who may have originally been reluctant or anxious to participate, but have decided to do so.

Freire (1990) states,

"The silenced are not just incidental to the curiosity of the researcher but are the masters of inquiry into the underlying causes of the events in their world. In this context research becomes a means of moving them beyond silence into a quest to proclaim the world."

References:

Friere, P. (1972) Pedagogy of the Oppressed. New York: The Seabury Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment