Thursday 27 May 2010

My installation.

So I have put my installation up, and I'm really pleased wth it!





I need to say thank you to Sarah for helping me with putting it up, and advising me of if things were level and in line and straight! So thank you!      :-)

I am really happy with the number of different responses that have been displayed on the boards. They really reflect a range of perceptions, in addition current affairs and issues.


For example the participant that has created this repsonse has built upon the issue that I raised a while back on this blog, about the ban of traditional Islamic clothing. The participation has identified around the central image 'Celebration or Restriction?' 'Inclusion or Exclusion?' This goes to show that this is an issue that is directly impacting this participant and her identity, and the possible compromise of it.

The filing cabinet works well within the installation. I have deliberately left the drawers open so that viewers would be drawn into looking to see what it contained.

I have also printed the labels off for the invididual responses that have been exhibited on the boards. They have turned out really well, and the font that I have used (Courier) adds to the concept of categorisation and classification.


Here's one example. So the a = female. NN = Not Newman. F = family member. Orange = symbolises a colour that reflects our religion and culture.

On the outside two boards of my installation, I have attached several empty sandwich bags. In doing this, my intention was to encourage viewers to participate in this project by creating a response and preserving & documenting their participation in addition to their responses to the word 'Identity'.

These bags have also been given a label which identifies them as 'unknown' which is identified as _. I have done this as I will not necessarily know who has contributed and participated, whilst it still being a way to document, share, and celebrate their participation.

No comments:

Post a Comment